Modern Greek Language & Culture Classes
The Hellenic Club of Canberra is proud to support the Greek Community in the ACT region by providing a range of Greek cultural events as well as Modern Greek Language & Culture Courses for its members.
Some facts about the Greek Language
The Greek language has the longest documented history of any living language and holds an important place in the history if the Western world and Christianity.
Greek words have been widely borrowed into other languages, including English.
Moreover, it is the foundation of international scientific and technical vocabulary and still a basis for neologisms (new terms).
Any foreign language is an asset and the benefits of learning Greek in particular are numerous. Just to name a few:
– It gives a better understanding of this great and world widely known culture
– With its language characteristics (i.e. productive morphology, well-structured syntax) it stimulates our brain neurones
– It helps people (especially English speakers in Australia) understand better and appreciate their own language
– It helps with the learning of other foreign languages
– It makes communication easier when meeting Greek people or travelling to Greece
– It gives the ability to understand and appreciate Greek music, poetry and literature
We strongly believe that Greek language is a great reflection of the Greek identity and should be maintained in the diaspora.
More about our courses
Since 2000 we teach Modern Greek as a second/foreign language to English speaking adults. Our courses focus on the four main language skills (Reading, Writing, Listening, and Speaking) by using different teaching methods. Our Greek tutor is a native Greek speaker, certified by The Centre for the Greek Language in Thessaloniki, Greece (http://greeklanguage.gr/en).
The 2019 classes are on – ENROL NOW!
- Course Outline Introduction
- Course Outline Intermediate (A)
- Course Outline Intermediate (B)
- Course Outline Advanced
- Term 2 2019 Enrolment Form
- 3 Terms a year – 12 weeks each
- More than 50 students attend classes each week
- Classes are held at the Hellenic Club Woden and to be able to attend them you must be a Hellenic Club member
- Term 1 commences every February and term 2 is a continuation of term 1
Enrolment forms can be obtained from reception at Hellenic Club Woden or click the link above.
For further information, please ring 6162 6613.