Hellenic Club of Canberra celebrates 40 years in the Canberra community
2019 marks 40 years of the Hellenic Club of Canberra
When the Hellenic Club of Canberra opened its doors in 1979 after nearly 10 years of hard work and determination from many members of the Greek community in Canberra, they could have only dreamed that it may one-day evolve into the incredible institution as it stands today.
On Saturday 24 February 1979 our Club was opened and our first function was held in our new Club – The Masquerade Ball 1979. The ballroom was packed – our dream had come true just 9 years and 6 days after the letter applying for the block of land was written.Chris N Lourandos, Vice President – 1980
Since its establishment, the Hellenic Club has continually developed and has become one of the most successful clubs in the ACT, consistently offering one of the best Club facilities and service in the Canberra region.
Today, the Hellenic Club is one of the most popular venues in town, famous for its giveaways, fine dining, live entertainment and community spirit, the Club has become so much more than the community hall it was first planned to be.
As the Club celebrates four decades serving the Canberra community, we are excited to present a number of celebratory events for our members and guests, showcasing the best of the Greek and cultural communities of Canberra.
- Hellenic Club of Canberra: 40 years of History Exhibition: Tuesday 26th Feburary – Monday 4th March 9am-9pm daily, and Tuesday 5th March 9am-2pm
- Performance by the Karpathian Association: Monday 18th March in the Triton Lounge
- Public forum on Language Learning/Bilingualism: Saturday 23rd March
- Canberra Hellenic Dancers Performance: Monday 25th March in the Triton Lounge
- Live Greek Music in the Triton Lounge: Monday 1st April in the Triton Lounge
- Sunday Afternoon at the Greek Movies: Sunday 7th April, (movie to be confirmed)
- Canberra Mandolin Orchestra Live Performance: Monday 8th April in the Triton Lounge
- Mosaic Exhibition: Wednesday 10th-Sunday 14th April in the Orpheus Room
- Sunday Afternoon at the Greek Movies: Sunday 2nd June, (movie to be confirmed)